Pizza with Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
This veggie-lovers’ pizza is prepared with store-bought pizza dough for easy preparation.
Hopetown Hill House Craft Red VQA
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 8 thick asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) pizza dough
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) balsamic reduction or glaze
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Toss together eggplant, zucchini, red pepper, onion, asparagus, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Transfer to large baking sheet in single layer; bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown, tender and caramelized. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roll out pizza dough on lightly floured surface to fit 15- x 10-inch (40 x 25 cm) baking sheet. Transfer to greased baking sheet; stretch to fit. Let stand for 5 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450˚F (230˚C).
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over crust. Top with roasted vegetables; sprinkle with Gruyère cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling.
- Garnish with basil; drizzle with balsamic reduction.
Tip: Store-bought balsamic reduction can be purchased at most grocery stores in the condiments aisle. Substitute balsamic glaze if preferred.